Search This Blog

Food Friday



4 shared thoughts
This week's Featured Food Friday player is ...

Ms. Winnie, with her post: Edible Dessert Cups, on her blog Something Sweet.

I love this! I can just imagine the different toppings.., cream cheese, dried or fresh fruits, honey... oh my, the possibilities are endless! Fun for kids as well as for adults, too. Want to see how Ms. Winnie did this? Click on the shot above!
------------- oo000oo -------------

I seldom buy shrimp and it has been ages since my last buy. However, my youngest requested for shrimp this week (and I found some nice ones at the store today), so this was lunch: Shrimps.


Ingredients

  • fresh shrimps (cleaned, meaning just cut off the sharp rostrum tip and pull the antennule - we like our shrimp prepared this way, most of the time; we seldom devein them)
  • canola oil
  • garlic powder
  • soy sauce
  • honey
  • cilantro/wan soy
  • butter
  • salt and pepper


some of the ingredients used

Procedure

  • Clean shrimps, then dump in hot pan with around a tablespoon or two of canola oil.
  • Add a bit of soy sauce (around 2-3 drops), then salt and pepper. Mix slightly then when the shrimps starts to turn pink add around a tablespoon of garlic powder. Mix well.
  • Once liquid has decreased sufficiently to your liking, add a teaspoon of honey, a slice (or two) of butter, then chopped cilantro (save some for garnishing).
  • Remove from pan and transfer to serving dish, while still hot.
  • Garnish with the cilantro. Drizzle with calamansi juice before you start eating.


Enjoy!


Back home, we would add Sprite (or 7-UP) to the jumping (because they were still alive!) shrimps, but I opted for honey here, just to get that slight sweetness. Healthier too, I guess. I would have wanted to add some chili flakes, but didn't because my youngest doesn't like them. Maybe when he gets older. :P

While I was cleaning the fresh shrimps that I bought, I then realized why I seldom buy them: cleaning them seems to take forever (as well as their being expensive, lol)! I am not a very patient person, so you can just imagine the different expressions my face must have gone through while cleaning half a kilo of shrimps (even if it only meant cutting the sharp rostrum tip and pulling out the antennule). In spite of that slight inconvenience, I know I did the right thing, though, when I witnessed my youngest kid's face as he saw what we were having for lunch... :)

Appreciate much your taking the time to share and link your food posts here at Food Friday! :)
Please don't forget to add a link back to this site (you can get the buttons here; deciding to use text instead of buttons is fine also) to be able to add your posts below. Many thanks and hope everyone is going to have a great time this weekend!






get the InLinkz code

4 shared thoughts:

Hazel at: Fri Aug 16, 12:54:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Ice cream cone cup! Reminds me of childhood pigging out on ice cream and mainly going for the cone in my case :)

Those tiny leaves in your shrimp - are they what they call chinese celery? Dunno what is the Filipino term for that. I never noticed it in Pinas supermarkets then. Are they selling those now, like lettuce?

The cleaning bit is also my reason why I never buy shrimps, except those ready-to-cook ones in packs. There seems to be much gastronomic fun in your kitchen. Lucky kids.

Winnie at: Fri Aug 16, 05:23:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Thank you for featuring my Edible Dessert Cups and thank you for your lovely and warm comment!:)

You know - I've never eaten shrimp....
Beside being a vegetarian, it's something that is forbidden to us (religious reason)

Have a good weekend Maiylah, and thank you for the party :)

maiylah at: Sat Aug 17, 02:42:00 PM GMT+8 said...

Hi Hazel! i know am not the only one who thinks shelling out shrimps is a chore! lol.
now am confused: i just read that cilantro is kinchay. i thought that cilantro and kinchay are different! well, what i used here was the one that was not that intense in taste (am assuming the chinese parsley is more intense tasting than the wan soy). but yes, they are now commonly being sold in the supermarkets, together with lettuce, broccoli, etc.
got to read up more about this cilantro/wan soy/kinchay (chinese parsley)! lol

Hi Winnie! happy to be able to post one of your delicious treats again! :)

many thanks for playing again this week, lovely ladies!
enjoy your weekend!

Oggi at: Sun Aug 18, 06:33:00 AM GMT+8 said...

Simply delicious shrimps.

Kinchay is not the same as cilantro. Cilantro is coriander plant. We Filipinos call it wansoy which probably came from its Chinese name. Kinchay or Chinese celery is closer in looks but not in flavor with ordinary celery. I love both wansoy and kinchay.

Post a Comment

THANK YOU
...for visiting and the comment love!

have a nice day!

newer post older post